Install smoke detectors on every level of the home and test them monthly to make sure they are in good working order.
Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths. Monitor smokers and, if you smoke, don’t smoke in bed. Check under and around cushions and furniture for smoldering cigarettes. Provide large deep ashtrays, and always wet ashes before discarding.
Be careful when you cook, and never leave cooking unattended. America’s number one type of fire is kitchen fires. When encountering grease fires, turn off the stove or oven and cover with a lid. Never pour water on a grease fire.
Plan a safe escape from fire and practice your escape drill. Make sure everyone in your home knows at least two ways out of every room and have a common meeting place a safe distance away.
Keep portable heaters and space heaters at least three feet away from combustibles. Never leave them on when you leave home or go to bed.
Remember: matches and lighters are tools, not toys. Keep them out of the reach of children.
Cool a burn. Run cool water over a burn for 10 to 15 minutes, but never apply ice, butter or other grease to a burn. If burned skin blisters or is charred, see a doctor immediately.
Use electricity safely. Unplug malfunctioning appliances, replace frayed or cracked electrical cords, and don’t run cords under rugs or across walkways. Most importantly, never use electric appliances in or near water.
Crawl low in smoke. During a fire, smoke and poisonous gases rise with the heat. Cleaner, safer air is near the floor.
Remember: Stop, Drop and Roll. If your clothes catch on fire, don’t run. Stop where you are, drop to the ground, cover your face, and roll over and over to smother the flames.