We are hiring qualified Applicants!
We actively seek candidates who want an exciting working environment, casual beach-style atmosphere, modern facilities, and the opportunity to help make Jacksonville Beach a safe place to live, work, and visit.
Apply with us!
See current openings with the Jacksonville Beach Police Department
Basic requirements for Police Officer include the following:
- Possess a current Law Enforcement Certificate issued by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. Applicants with prior police experience may be eligible for hire prior to Florida certification.
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Possess at least a High School Diploma, GED certificate, or equivalent.
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be a United States Citizen (provide naturalization or birth certificate).
- Be of good moral character; no felony arrests; no misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury, or false statements.
- If applicable, possess an honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States (copy of all DD214s or other separation documents required).
- Successfully complete the selection/hiring process.
How to become a Florida Certified Police Officer
Benefits Paid Leave, and Holidays
- Pay starts at $36,628.80 per year ($17.61 per hour, plus $600 per year insurance supplement.) Officers are eligible for 3% raise after first 6 months, and a 3% annual raise after a twelve month probation period. Experienced officers may start at a higher rate of pay.
- Take-home vehicles for eligible full time officers after probationary period. Take home vehicles are considered a privilege and not an automatic fringe benefit or right.
- Annual leave ranges from 96 hours in the first year to a maximum of 168 hours. Ninety-six hours paid sick leave per year with unlimited accrual.
- Nine paid holidays per year. One paid personal leave day per calendar year.
- Retirement in the form of Municipal Police Retirement Plan. Up to 90% of pay for full retirement. Officer contributes 6.45% per pay period. Vested after 5 years service.
- Payroll deduction available for 457 Deferred Retirement Plan, bank or credit union savings, and loans.
- Opportunity to learn all phases of police work, specialized units, and investigations.
- Promotions are based on competitive examination, service record, and demonstrated abilities.
- Complete uniforms with laundry service, shoes, firearm, and equipment, including protective vest, are provided.
- Health and dental insurance are provided free for officers; families may be added at a nominal cost.
- A.A. or A.S. Degree in criminal justice or related field—–$100.00 per month.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in criminal justice or related field—–$150.00 per month.
- M.A. or M.S. Degree in criminal justice or related field—–$200.00 per month.
- Up to $1,600 per year in a career-related field.