Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

  1. Where can I get a marriage license?
    Please contact the Clerk of the Courts for Duval County. You can reach them by calling (904) 255-2000 or visiting the Duval County Clerk Web Page
  2. Do you have camping or RV facilities?
    There are no campgrounds or RV facilities located within the city limits of Jacksonville Beach. Camping on the beach is not permissible. Please visit https://floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails?Dist=Northeast for a list of Northeast Florida State Parks.
  3. Are dogs allowed on the beach?
    Dogs are permissible on the beach at any hour from October 1 through March 31.  However, dogs are NOT permitted on the beach during the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., 7 days a week, from April 1 through September 30.  Dogs must be leashed AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON THE BEACH as in all other public places..
  4. Can you drive cars on Jacksonville Beach?
    Driving on the beach is not permitted within the city limits of Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach or Atlantic Beach.
  5. Where are beach facilities located?
    - Restrooms are located at 2nd Ave. N, 5th Ave. N., and 19th Ave. N.
    - Outdoor showers are located at 2nd Ave. N., 5th Ave. N., 19th Ave. N., and 7th Ave. South
    - Wheelchair accessible ramps are located at Beach Boulevard, 5th Avenue N., & 6th Avenue South
  6. Are there public restrooms located at the beach?
    Yes. In Jacksonville Beach public restrooms are located at 2nd Avenue North, and 5th Avenue North. Portable toilets are also located at 19th Avenue North. They are open 7 days a week March through September, Wednesday through Sunday in October, and Friday through Sunday, November through February.
  7. Are the beaches handicap accessible?
    Yes. In Jacksonville Beach, there are handicap accessible ramps at 5th Avenue North, Beach Blvd and 1st Street, and 6th Avenue South. Beach wheelchairs are also available at the Lifeguard Station. Please call the Lifeguard Station at 904-249-9141 or Parks & Recreation at 904-247-6236.
  8. Can we walk on the dunes while at the beach?
    No. Climbing on the dunes is prohibited. The sand dunes, and sea oats on the dunes are protected by Florida State Law. Please use the crossovers to get to the beach.
  9. Are alcoholic beverages allowed on the beach?
    No, alcoholic beverages and glass bottles are NOT permitted on the beach.
  10. Is surfing permitted at the beaches?
    Yes, surfers are welcome, but they must have their surfboards tethered to one leg while in the water.
  11. Are grills allowed on the beach?
    Grills are NOT allowed on the beach or any other city property in Jacksonville Beach unless it is provided by the city.
  12. Are horses allowed on the beach?
    Horses are prohibited at all times in Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, and Atlantic Beach.
  13. Are there boat ramps in the area?
    Yes. You can find boat ramps at Beach Marine, 2315 Beach Blvd, call 904-249-8200 for more information. You may also go to the Mayport Marine at 4852 Ocean Street on the south side of the St. John River, call 904-246-8929 for more information. You can launch small boats at the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Preserve off State Road A1A south of Ponte Vedra, call 904-825-5071 for more information.
  14. Are jet skis permitted at the beaches?
    Yes. In Jacksonville and Neptune Beaches jet skis must stay 300 feet off of the beach. They can only be launched from public ramps, not from the beach. In Atlantic Beach jet skis must stay 200 feet off of the beach. For more information regarding Atlantic Beach go to www.ci.atlantic-beach.fl.us/.
  15. When is sea turtle nesting season?
    May 1st through October 31st. See the Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol website for more information.
  16. What do I do if I come across a sea turtle on the beach?
    Do not touch the sea turtle. Call the Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol immediately at 904-613-6081. If the sea turtle is alive you may sprinkle water on the shell, but remember to contact Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol right away.
  17. What can I do to ensure a safe environment for sea turtles?
    Florida is the second largest Loggerhead Sea Turtle nesting area in the world. It is important that we do our best to ensure a safe nesting season for the sea turtles. Avoid unnecessary light, noise, and movement on the beach at night. Remove all litter from the beach. Avoid walking on turtle tracks or dunes where nests occur. Do not shine any lights directly on a sea turtle; this will cause here to abandon her nest. For more information please call Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol at 904-613-6081
  18. Are weddings permitted on the beach?
    Yes. The beaches are a beautiful place to hold a wedding ceremony.  For more information on scheduling your wedding at the beach, click here.
  19. Are sailboats and catamarans allowed on the beach?
    They are allowed on the beach if the following rules are followed: they may not be launched or removed from the water; they cannot be stored in a way that is harmful to the sea oats or the sand dunes, and they cannot interfere with the lifeguards' vision.
  20. Is fishing permitted on the beach?
    Yes. Surf fishing is a popular activity among beach-goers in areas with few swimmers. Jacksonville Beach also has a fishing pier that stretches 1300 feet over the Atlantic Ocean. The pier is handicap accessible and includes a concession area, bait shop, restrooms, and several fish cleaning stations. The pier is located at 503 North 1st Street. [More info . . . ]

Special Events

  1. What is a special event?  Click here for detailed information
  2. How can I participate in the Opening of the Beaches Parade or having an event at the beach?
    Contact our Parks and Recreation Department at (904) 247-6236 for an application and rules/regulations.
  3. How can I be a vendor or get a booth at festivals at the Seawalk Pavilion?
    Here is a link to the Special Events Producer's information. You will find a link to each event's producer.
  4. How can I reserve the Seawalk Pavilion for my event?
    Please see Renting City Facilities information.  PLEASE NOTE: The use of City facilities is reserved on a “first-come, first-served” basis after City-produced events, City-contracted events, and annual events which have been scheduled for each calendar year.

Election Information

  1. How do I request an Absentee Ballot?
  2. Where do I register to vote?
  3. What are the Jacksonville Beach city district boundaries?
    The three district boundaries are described and pictured here.

Beaches Energy

  1. How do I apply for new utility service or transfer existing service to my name?
    Applications for utility service may be submitted in person, via email, by fax, or by mail. Positive identification, i.e. Florida ID or valid Driver’s License is required. If submitting by mail or fax, please contact our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241.
  2. Does Beaches Energy Services require a utility deposit?
    Yes, the residential deposit for new utility service starts at $125.00, however, the deposit may be waived when our new customers provide a good payment history for one full year from their previous utility company.
    • Residential Start Services Checklist
      • Address of location to start services
      • Social Security Number
      • Copy of Driver License or State Identification
      • Contact phone number
      • In some cases, a rental lease agreement or sales contract may be required.
      • Residential utility deposits start at $125.00. The deposit may be in the form of cash, check, or money order. Deposits may be waived if customer provides a utility credit letter with excellent credit history over the last 12 months.
      • Depending on credit history, the deposit required may be up to (2) times the average utility cost for that service location.
      • A service charge of $10.00 will be billed for service connections between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Connections after 1:00 p.m. will be billed $20.00.
    • For a commercial deposit, please contact our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241.
  3. When will my utility deposit be returned?
    Residential deposits with interest are returned after 12 months of satisfactory payment history. Commercial deposits are returned upon termination of utility service.
  4. What should I do to have my utility service disconnected?
    Call our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241 with your disconnect date and forwarding address, or email us at Beaches Energy Customer Service.
  5. How do I transfer my utility service from one location to another location?
    Call our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241 or email us at Beaches Energy Customer Service. A new application and positive identification are required to transfer service, i.e. Florida ID or a valid Driver’s License.
  6. How do I obtain information on conserving and lowering my monthly utility bill?
    Beaches Energy Services can recommend many ways to help you save on your electric and water bill. Electric and water bills vary depending on time of year, weather, number of days in a billing cycle, and usage. We offer a free residential energy audit to assist you in evaluating the electric usage in your home. To schedule your free residential energy audit, please contact our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241 or e-mail us at Beaches Energy Customer Service.
  7. How can I protect my home against power surges?
    Beaches Energy Services will install a Surge Protection Device that is designed to protect major motor-driven appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners. For detailed product information and to schedule installation, call our Customer Service Department at 904-247-6241 or email us at Beaches Energy Customer Service.
  8. What is the CARE Program and how do I contribute?
    Our CARE Program provides assistance to eligible applicants who are customers of Beaches Energy Services. Occasionally elderly, disabled, or low income members of our community may need assistance paying their monthly utility bills. BEAM (Beaches Emergency Assistance Ministry) administers the Care Program and qualify the families that need assistance.
    You may contribute to our Care Program by donating on your monthly utility bill or by making a donation at our Customer Service Department. For more information, call 904-247-6241.
  9. Where does Beaches Energy Services get their power?
    Beaches Energy Services is a member of the Florida Municipal Power Agency. The Agency provides wholesale power and it is owned by 29 municipal electric utilities. The Agency provides electric service to over 1.7 million Floridians.
  10. How do Beaches Energy Services residential rates compare with other Electric Utilities?
    Our residential electric utility rates compare very favorably to other utilities within the State of Florida and have historically remained below Florida’s average.
  11. What is the Power Cost Adjustment that appears on my bill?
    The Power Cost Adjustment is directly related to the cost of fuel used to generate electricity. The Power Cost Adjustment is NOT additional income for Beaches Energy Services. This is a direct pass-through expense.  A large percentage of the electricity we provide to our customers is produced by using clean-burning natural gas. Volatility in the price of natural gas can affect the Power Cost Adjustment.
  12. Does Beaches Energy Services provide telecommunications for the hearing and speech impaired?
    Our hearing and speech impaired customers may contact us through the Florida Relay Center: Voice: 1-800-955-8770 or TTY(Text Telephone): 1-800-955-8771

Bid Listings

  1. Where are bids posted?
    Bids and proposals are advertised in the Florida Times Union in the legal section and on our official website at http://www.jacksonvillebeach.org/government/departments/finance/bidrfp-rfq-listings.

Building Permits

  1. How do I apply for a permit?
    Fill out a building permit application, consult the residential or commercial permit checklist and submit all required information and documentation to the Planning & Development Department, City Hall, 11 North 3rd St. View Planning and Development documents and forms.
  2. What building code does the city use?
    Effective March 15, 2012, all submittals are reviewed under the 2010 Florida Building Code. For more information about this code visit their website.
  3. How long will it take to review my application?
    Processing time varies with the complexity of your project. Some projects can be permitted over the counter. Others require extensive review and can take an average of ten (10) business days. Permits for most minor projects are issued within three (3) business days. The Building Inspection Division staff will contact you when the permit is ready for you to pick up.
  4. What type of work will I not need a permit for?
    Permits are not required for any work that is considered cosmetic, such as carpeting, replacing cabinets, painting, stucco; some siding replacement and some minor repair of work. It is best to call (904) 247-6231 to clarify if a permit is needed.
  5. How much will my permit cost?
    Building permit fees are calculated based on the size, type, and valuation of the construction proposed. You can get an estimate of permit fees, from staff, prior to submitting your application. Other fees may apply such as: water and sewer tap fees, and right-of-way permit fees. All fees are due when the permit is issued.
  6. When am I allowed to work on my building project?
    Building activity is allowed between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm., Monday through Saturday. Work is not allowed at any time on Sundays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  7. What does the permit fee cover?
    The cost of the permit includes the permit fee, plan check fee and required inspections.
  8. Can a homeowner pull a permit?
    Under an exemption to the law a homeowner is allowed to pull a permit when acting as his own contractor for certain kinds of projects. You will need to verify with the Building Inspection Division that your project qualifies. The homeowner is legally responsible as the contractor and liable for employees hired to work on the project. Hiring a licensed professional, more often than not, will save you time and money.
  9. Where can I find a contractor?
    You can verify if a contractor is licensed and find out if any complaints have been filed against them by contacting the Department of Business & Professional Regulation at (850) 487-1395

Code Enforcement

  1. What constitutes a nuisance?
    A nuisance is defined as permitting any condition to exist that essentially interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life and property, or tends to depreciate the property value of others.
  2. What are some examples of a nuisance?
    Overgrown grass; garbage or debris accumulation; a dilapidated building unfit for habitation; inoperable motor vehicles in a front lawn... Consult the https://www.municode.com/library/fl/jacksonville_beach/codes/code_of_ordinances for a full description.

Fire Marshal's Office

  1. Can I have an open fire on the beach?
    No. Open fires are not allowed on the beach.
  2. Can I burn leaves or other debris on my property?
    Open burning is NOT allowed unless a permit is issued by the Fire Marhsal. Most properties in Jacksonville Beach do not meet the requirements to obtain a permit. Consult the Fire Marshal at (904) 247-6201.
  3. Can fireworks be shot within city limits?
    Only fireworks classified by the State Fire Marshal as sparklers may be ignited within city limits. Sparklers do not explode or fly through the air and explode. Any other fireworks are illegal when used by individual consumers for recreational displays.
  4. Does the Fire Marshal's Office offer First Aid or CPR classes?
    No. Classes are available through the American Red Cross at 358-8091, ext.1818, or the American Heart Association CPR locator service, at (877) 242-4277 or the American Red Cross website

Parks & Recreation

  1. Can I have a wedding on the beach?
    Call Special Events at (904) 247-6157 for details.
  2. Do I need to make reservations to have a party at a city park?
    Parks are open to the public with no reservations needed. However, if you plan to use the park as a venue for a large party it is recommended that you contact the Special Events department at (904) 247-6157 for specific rules and regulations.

Planning & Development

  1. Why do I have to submit a development plan for approval before I can apply for a building permit?
    All new non-residential projects and any residential project of three (3) or more dwelling units require Development Plan approval. The Planning Division ensures that development or site plans are in compliance with the requirements of the Land Development Code. They also coordinate the site plan review process with other departments.
  2. Are there any exemptions to the development plan approval requirement?
    The only exemptions to the development plan approval process are additions to existing buildings and construction of one and two-family dwellings.
  3. How much does a Development Plan Approval Cost?
    The fee for Development Plan Approval is $250.00 plus one twenty-fifth (1/25th) of one (1) cent ($0.0025) for each square foot of land area to be developed or $1500.00, whichever is less.
  4. What is a variance?
    A variance is an approved deviation from the terms of the Land Development Code. If you have been notified that you require a variance for your project, it means that you do not meet certain zoning requirements (i.e. - setbacks, lot coverage, parking, etc.) and have to prove that the literal enforcement of the provisions of the Land Development Code would result in undue and unnecessary hardship.
  5. What is the variance application fee?
    A non-refundable processing fee of $250.00 is due at the time you submit your application.
  6. Why do I need to apply for a conditional use?
    A conditional use is a use which is generally not compatible with other land uses permitted in a particular zoning district, but which may be allowed after an individual review to ensure the appropriateness of the use in that particular location. Only those uses which are authorized as conditional uses in Article VII of the Land Development code may be approved.
  7. What is the conditional use application fee?
    A non-refundable processing fee of $250.00 is due at the time you submit your application.

Police Department

  1. How do I get a copy of a police report or a traffic crash report?
    Copies of offense reports and crash reports are available in the Records Section located in the lobby of police headquarters. Business hours are Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm and Friday 8am - 12 noon, except holidays. Crash reports are confidential for the first 60 days and can only be released to the parties involved. Please bring a photo ID with you when requesting the report. Police reports can be located by case number or name. There is a nominal fee for reports. For more information call (904) 270-1667.
  2. How can I attend the Citizen Police Academy?
    You can obtain a Citizen Police Academy application by visiting the link below or by calling (904) 247-6193. The application needs to be returned to the police department. Citizen Police Academy Application
  3. Are you open on Christmas?
    We are a 24-hour, 7-day a week police department. The department is equipped to handle any request or call for service at any time of the day or night. After normal business hours, a customer may use the interactive television that is located in the lobby. This enables the citizen to talk to a communications officer face to face and request assistance.
  4. Where can I park when I come to downtown Jacksonville Beach?
    The city has several designated parking areas, including city public lots. They are all clearly marked. It is not advised to park in an area that is not marked for parking. Areas do not have to be posted "No Parking" for parking violations to occur. For more information on parking visit our parking section or contact parking@jaxbchfl.net
  5. Can I take my dog to the beach?
    Dogs are permissible on the beach at any hour from October 1 through March 31.  However, dogs are NOT permitted on the beach during the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., 7 days a week, from April 1 through September 30.  Dogs must be leashed AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON THE BEACH as in all other public places.
  6. How do I file a police report?
    You can file a police report by calling (904) 270-1667 and request a police officer respond to your location. You may also come to police headquarters at any time. In some circumstances, you can file a report by phone. Always remember to dial 911 if your situation is life threatening.
  7. Where do I find information about employment with the Jacksonville Beach Police Department?
    The City of Jacksonville Beach Police Department's application may be obtained from the Human Resources Department located at 11 N. 3rd Street. Job opportunities are also posted online and in the Human Resources Department. You may also call the Police Department Recruiter at (904) 247-6338.
  8. Where do I pay a parking citation?
    There are three options. You may mail your payment to the City of Jacksonville Beach Police Department, 101 Penman Road South, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250; pay in person at city hall or the police department, Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm and Friday 8am - 12 noon, except holidays, or use the convenient drop slot located on the south side of city hall. The fines are noted on the parking citation.
  9. How can I report traffic complaints in my neighborhood?
    You may contact the Jacksonville Beach Police Department at (904) 270-1667 and request to speak with a Patrol Supervisor. He or she will take your complaint and arrange for extra traffic monitoring. To report complaints or information online
  10. How can I get a crime prevention program or other related police presentation for my group, school, or organization?
    You may call the Crime Prevention Unit at (904) 270-1670 and request information.
  11. To whom do I report graffiti?
    Call the Jacksonville Beach Police Department at (904) 270-1667 to report any graffiti.

Police Department - Communications

  1. What should I do if I call 9-1-1 by mistake?
    If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, do not hang up.

    Stay on the line and explain that you do not actually have an emergency. If a caller to 9-1-1 hangs up without stating the problem, the caller must be contacted in order to ensure that no actual emergency exists. This may involve dispatching an officer to your home or place of business to ensure that a problem does not exist.

  2. If I need the police, but it is not an emergency, what number do I call?
    If you need the police, but it is not of an emergency nature, please call our non-emergency line at (904) 270-1661.
    Examples of calls which should be placed to the non-emergency lines are:
    • Traffic crashes which do not involve injuries
    • Loud music or barking dogs
    • To report incidents such as theft, if it is not happening right now
    • To report incidents such as theft, if there is no suspect information
    • Requests for information
    • To report the malfunctioning of traffic signals

Police Department - Records

  1. What are the hours of operation for the Jacksonville Beach Police Department Records Section?
    Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm and Friday 8am - 12 noon,
    with exception for City of Jacksonville Beach designated holidays.
  2. How much does it cost to obtain a copy of a Jacksonville Beach Police report?
    A single sided copy is 15 cents, and a double-sided copy is 20 cents. For extensive paperwork searches and copying, the cost of the Records Section staff person’s time is added to the cost of the actual copies.
  3. Who can obtain a copy of a traffic crash report?
    The first 60 days following a crash, reports are restricted and released only to authorized persons. “Authorized persons” include: drivers, passengers, owners; insurance companies representing the driver, owner, passenger or property owner; attorneys representing any of the persons involved as stated above; and certain print and media, as per Florida State Statutes.
  4. How much are background checks?
    Each background check costs $5.00 per person or address which is researched. Background checks are limited to incidents occurring in the City of Jacksonville Beach.
  5. How much are Bar Identification cards?
    All local bar employees must have identification cards. They cost $4.00 each, and are only issued on Fridays, from 8:00 am to 11:00 am, and from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, except for City of Jacksonville Beach designated holidays which fall on a Friday.
  6. Will you fax a copy of a report?
    No, we cannot fax copies of reports.
  7. When can fingerprinting be done?
    Fingerprinting is currently not available due to social distancing concerns.  (Please call the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office at 904-630-2209 for this service).
  8. How much does it cost to have fingerprinting done?
    When fingerprinting is available, the cost is $10.00.
  9. Who is eligible to have fingerprinting done at the City of Jacksonville Beach?
    When fingerprinting is available, fingerprintng is done only for concealed weapons permits and volunteer positions.

Public Works

  1. What is an easement?
    Easement means a grant of use of land by the land owner to any person, or to the general public for a specified purpose, such as the construction or maintenance of utilities and/or storm water drainage.
  2. What is a Right-of-Way?
    Right-of-Way means the area of a highway, road, street, way, parkway, alley, electric transmission line, gas pipeline, water main, storm or sanitary sewer main, or any other such strip of land reserved for public use by legal means.
  3. What is the hardness of our water?
    Please contact our Water Plant Division at (904) 247-6278.
  4. Where does Jacksonville Beach get its drinking water?
    From artesian wells extending from 900 to 1200 feet into the Floridan Aquifer. This aquifer is considered one of the safest, highest quality water sources in the world.


Search form