Sunshine Playground at South Beach Park
Sunshine Playground Preview
- Will the redesign of the park affect the Splash Pad?
No. The splash pad will not be affected at all. It will operate under its normal hours and months of the year.
- Are you changing the Splash Pad?
This design is only for the playground. We are currently not changing anything with the splash pad, multi-purpose field, volleyball courts or skate park.
- When will the playground be closed?
Demolition of the playground begins on November 16, 2021. The last day to play on the playground is November 15, 2021.
- What is happening with the mermaid archway?
We plan to renovate our mermaid as she is an iconic piece of this playground. We also plan to keep the pavilion and tiles in the playground as well.
- Will any of the trees or pavilions outside of the fence be removed to accommodate the larger “footprint” of the new playground?
As of right now, nothing outside of the perimeter will be removed or changed.
- Will there be more shade?
Yes, we will be installing shade sails over the main structure of the tot lot as well as a good portion of the “big kid” area.
- Is the new playground ADA inclusive?
Yes, many pieces (including the mid-level of the lifeguard tower) are accessible by wheelchair.
- What are the materials being used for the new playground?
The structure will be made of a composite wood and the flooring will be synthetic turf.
- What's happening with the original fence posts that were donated?
The fence posts will be available for pickup at the Community Center at South Beach Park through the end of the year (2021).
- Will the demolition/construction affect other parts of South Beach Park?
For the most part, no! The skate park, fields, path, volleyball courts, tennis court, pickleball courts, basketball courts, and community centers will remain open. If for some reason, a section of the park needs to be closed for a certain period of time, we will alert the public.